Recipe from Colleen Church (My adaptation of Company’s Coming Muffin Cookbook)
- 1 1/4 c Milk
- 1/4 c Poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 1/4 c Butter, softened
- 1/2 c Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla or lemon oil
- 2 c Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Icing sugar
- Combine the first three ingredients in a small bowl. Let stand for at least 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, the next three ingredients together. Add flavouring.
- Combine milk mixture with butter mixture and mix well.
- In a third bowl, combine dry ingredients. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients. Pour wet mixture into well.
- Stir only to moisten. Fill muffin/cupcake cups 3/4 full.
- Bake in 400F oven for 15 – 20 minutes. Makes 12 medium or 18 small muffins.
- For topping: Start with small amount of lemon juice, add amount of icing sugar to make desired consistency. Drizzle over warm or cool muffins.