From Five Star Food, a compilation of Vancouver Sun recipes, 2001.
Makes 2 small loaves
- 2 1/2 c. (625 ml) all purpose flour, divided
- 1 pkg. instant yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh sage
- 1 c. water
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 6 fresh sage leave
- Olive oil
- Coarse salt
- In large bowl, combine half the flour, yeast, salt, and chopped sage.
- In small saucepan, heat water, the 3 tbsp. olive oil, and sugar until very warm (125-130 F or 50-55C)
- Stir into flour mixture.
- Stir enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Cover and let rest 5 minutes
- Divide dough in half. Roll or press each piece into a small oval about 1/2 in. or 1cm. thick. Place on greased baking sheet.
- Make indentations with fingertips on surface of the dough
- Press 3 sage leaves on surface of each oval.
- Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle lightly with coarse salt.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk (about 20 min.)
- Bake in the top third of the oven at 450 F/230C for 10 – 12 minu