Sweet Potato and Red Pepper Soup
This recipe is courtesy of the Schobergs
recipe is for 6-7 people
- 2 Red Pepper seeded and cubed (we use any peppers other than green)
- 500 g sweet potato (orange yam) peeled and cubed
- 1 medium or large onion (or 2 small ones)
- 3-4 clove garlic minced or pressed
- 1 ½ liter (4-5 cup) vegetable stock –
- Cook altogether for at least 30 minutes until all veg are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper and hot sauce as desired
- Chop some red pepper to have a garnish as desired.
- If using cubes don’t do 1 cube to one cup as it will be too salty . Try ‘Better than Bouillion’ which comes in a jar and is a little less salty than the cubes are.
- Gerry does his own stock by boiling onion, celery, carrot and whatever other veg we have for about 1 hour and then straining the veg away and only using the liquid. -if you want to do this, buy 2 heads of celery and a bag of carrots and 4+ onions and a bit more garlic for a X4 or 5 batch of soup but you only need to boil the stock with as much water as it takes to cover the veg… then dilute the stock/soup to the desired thickness later on.
- We often use some lime juice to add a flavour perk toward the end after or while we are blending it. (And if green onions or chives and sour cream are available, they make a nice garnish. Chopped red peppers can be added in if desired, or sprinkled on top.)
- Mixed red yellow orange peppers usually available inexpensively at Super store and there are also huge orange sweet potatoes there.